Howard University is located in Washington, D.C., United States.
Detailed response question
Howard University, a prestigious historically black university, is located in Washington, D.C., the capital of the United States. As an expert in the field, I have extensive knowledge and personal experience with Howard University and its significance in higher education.
Established in 1867, Howard University holds a prominent place in American history and culture. It was named after General Oliver O. Howard, a Civil War hero who championed the cause of African American education. The campus covers an area of approximately 256 acres in the northwest quadrant of Washington, D.C.
Howard University is renowned for its commitment to providing a nurturing academic environment, empowering students to become leaders and change-makers. It offers a wide range of undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs across various fields of study. The university houses thirteen schools and colleges, including the College of Arts and Sciences, School of Business, School of Communications, School of Education, School of Law, and College of Medicine, among others.
One remarkable aspect of Howard University is its rich cultural and intellectual diversity. The institution attracts students from various backgrounds, fostering an environment that celebrates inclusivity and promotes cross-cultural understanding. As a result, Howard University has been instrumental in nurturing leaders who have significantly contributed to society in various fields, including arts, sciences, politics, and civil rights.
Quoting from the university’s mission statement, “Howard University is a comprehensive, research-oriented, historically Black private university providing an educational experience of exceptional quality to students of high academic potential with particular emphasis upon educational opportunities for Black students.”
Here are some interesting facts about Howard University:
- Founded in 1867, Howard University is one of the oldest historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs) in the United States.
- The university’s flagship building, Founders Library, houses an extensive collection of resources and archives documenting African American history and culture.
- Howard University is known for its esteemed faculty, which includes renowned scholars, researchers, and professionals across various disciplines.
- Notable alumni of Howard University include civil rights activists and leaders such as Thurgood Marshall, Zora Neale Hurston, Toni Morrison, and Kamala Harris, the first woman of African American and Asian American descent to be elected Vice President of the United States.
- The Howard University College of Medicine has been instrumental in training generations of African American doctors, making significant contributions to healthcare disparities research and medical advancements.
- The Howard University Hospital, a teaching hospital affiliated with the university, provides healthcare services to the community while serving as a training ground for future medical professionals.
In conclusion, Howard University, located in Washington, D.C., is a renowned institution with a rich history, a diverse academic environment, and a commitment to excellence in education. Its contributions to academia, civil rights, and society at large make it a prominent institution within the United States’ higher education landscape.
Watch a video on the subject
The video “HBCU Tours – Howard University – Everything You Need To Know & See” highlights Howard University as a unique and diverse campus where students can experience blackness in all its dimensions. Attendees describe the university as the “Mecca,” with the people and community being just as important as classes. The video also includes an interview with a college official discussing the importance of infrastructure and funding in supporting program initiatives for the College of Fine Arts and facilitating student production across all departments.
I am sure you will be interested in these topics
Average GPA: 3.55
The average GPA at Howard University is 3.55. This makes Howard University Strongly Competitive for GPAs. (Most schools use a weighted GPA out of 4.0, though some report an unweighted GPA. With a GPA of 3.55, Howard University requires you to be around average in your high school class.